RSS

Thursday, January 28, 2010

January 2010

Readers,

I've been quite a lousy blogger these past few weeks. Mostly because I've been having a rough time lately and just needed some time to rest up and feel better. Here's a recap of a pretty mundane few weeks.

I really haven't done anything too exciting lately because I've been quite sick. It all started around the 3rd of the month and it still hasn't completely gone away. First I had the flu symptoms so I spent all of my time laying around on the couch and getting fluids at the hospital to keep me hydrated. Then I started having stomach troubles (aka puking) and still haven't gotten over that. The doctor thinks that it could be a side effect of the iron chelation drug (which I am still receiving 24/7). Throwing up is probably my least favorite thing but I will endure it if that's what it takes to get my iron levels under control. Silver lining to this crappy cloud? I've lost over ten pounds. The doctors aren't nearly as thrilled about this fact as I am.

Speaking of iron chelation, for those of you who have been following my blog you will understand this next portion of my blog. For new readers, you might have to backtrack a few blogs in order to catch up. So I've been doing the 24/7 chelation drug since I came home in december and initially the doctors said it could take several months (possibly a year) before my iron level would be low enough for me to get my transplant. This past week they checked my iron level and it has dropped significantly! To put it into numbers: My iron level was over 3,000 when it was checked in early december. I think it was like 3400 or 3600. That is craaazy high. Typically they like to see iron levels under 1000. They thought it would take a lot of the iron chelation to get my level to drop but right now my level is 1400! This is a huge decrease in a very short time! Hopefully this means that we can proceed with transplant soon (knock on wood).

Other than that, nothing really new has happened. I haven't done anything social for almost a month but I've been pretty distracted with feeling crummy so I haven't really had time to think about what I'm missing out on. This is a lackluster post but the iron news is definitely the most exciting thing that has happened in the past month!

Side note: Thanks to all of you out there who have been reading my posts! I've been getting great feedback and it's amazing to see just how many people care. Don't forget, if you want email updates every time I post, go to the lefthand sidebar and type in your email address in order to subscribe. This also helps me keep track of how many people are reading. Thanks! Hope everyone is having a better month than I am.

**Reason of the Day: A few weeks ago I decided that I wanted a change. My life has come to a screeching halt and I needed something to shake things up. So naturally, I dyed my hair red! :) . Turns out I love it. Taking a chance is always a reason to smile (RTS). **

Red Hair:

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

That is such awesome news about the iron treatments!!

Laura said...

Hey Elizabeth,
Great news about the iron levels. I always appreciate your posts -- we all have so much to be thankful for. Hang in there!
Laura

Mom said...

Love the hair! But I love you more! You really are my reason to smile.

Anna said...

HAPPY! HAPPY! great news and cute hair. I lurve you!

Unknown said...

wow i forgot how sexy you are as a redhead! haha
that is so awesome that your iron levels are lower! YOU GO GIRL! i love you and once you feel up to it we are hanging out!

cupcake a la mode please? :)

Anonymous said...

omg i was so happy to hear about the iron levels. i know sympathy can be hard for you but i sometimes feel like i struggle.. i realize you're going through more and you're doing a WHOLE lot to counter that. its awesome to have this positive influence

audrey dicarlo

Anonymous said...

I love duh hairrrr.
and i'm so happy to hear about the iron levels.
Praying for you!
(this is Mariah B.)

Post a Comment